Millions of persons 50 and older identifying as LGBT
Gray Pride: A fast-growing population
The University of California Los Angeles Williams Institute estimates that there are currently 1.5 million persons over the age of 65 who openly identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. It also estimates that the number will double by 2030.
According to another estimate by the University of Washington School of Social Work, more than 5 million persons over the age of 50 will identify as LGBT by 2060.
Make safe spaces a priority
If retirement communities and senior residences are serious about embracing "Person First" philosophies of care, this must include creating safe spaces for persons who identify as LGBT—places where residents feel comfortable expressing themselves and living out their identity without fear of discrimination from caregivers and other residents.
Gerry can help your community
Gerry Farinas offers consulting services for retirement communities and senior residences:
- Provide one-hour, ninety-minute, or four-hour education for administrators, nursing, life enrichment, social work, dining, and other staff, on various topics
- Defining lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender identity, and other terminology
- Learning about specific challenges LGBT Older Americans face in community living
- Best practices and strategies for various caregiving situations
- Help create in-house guidance and modernize caregiving standards to protect LGBT rights
- Provide ongoing support and resources to maintain safe spaces
- Where to go for specific LGBT healthcare issues